Caithness Horizons opened to the public on the 1st December 2008 following the refurbishment of the Thurso Town Hall and adjacent Carnegie Library. Caithness Horizons was officially opened by His Royal Highness, The Prince Charles, Duke of Rothesay on 3rd August 2009. Since opening the Museum has been awarded a 5 Star Visitor Attraction rating by VisitScotland and it has achieved Full Museum Accreditation.
Caithness Horizons houses a permanent exhibition which uses the Museum’s Collection of objects to tell the story of the county of Caithness from the geological period known as the Devonian (about 416 to 359 million years ago) to the present day. Some of the star objects that are on display in the permanent exhibition are:
- Examples of the famous fossil fish of Caithness which date from the Devonian period
- A Bronze Age clay beaker that was found near Achavanich
- A late Neolithic/early Bronze Age carved stone ball that was found in the Thurso River
- Two Pictish Stones – the Ulbster Stone and the Skinnet Stone
- A Viking cross shaped gravestone which is incised with runic letters that was found near to old St. Peter’s Kirk in Thurso in 1896
- Geological and botanical specimens that were collected by Robert Dick (1811–1866) a local baker and renowned self-taught botanist, geologist and naturalist
- Technical models of the Dounreay Fast Reactor (DFR) and the Dounreay Prototype Fast Reactor (PFR)
Caithness Horizons is also home to a temporary exhibition gallery, which plays hosts to an annual programme of changing exhibitions. In addition Caithness Horizons has a lovely Gift Shop and Café which serves delicious home-baking.
Caithness Horizons is fully accessible and is located on the High Street in Thurso at the north east end of the pedestrianised area. Parking is available immediately opposite the Museum on the High Street. There is more parking within an easy walk of Caithness Horizons on Riverside Road.